Friday, July 31, 2009

Book Review

"In the Woods" by Tana French
My grade: B-

I have really mixed feelings about this one. Generally, it is a good mystery/crime novel; more or less typical in its setup. There is a crime, or a few, and the hunt is on for the answers. The book, however, is a bit stretched in all of its almost 600 pages. I read it, though, mostly with a great interest. 

The worst part is the ending, which I found terribly disappointing on all fronts, including personal (as in, relating to the fates of the main characters), as well as the outcomes of the mysteries, or lack thereof. Note: I don't want to give too much away, in case someone decides to read it. Having said that, I did think at one point to myself that if this book, too, will have a happy ending, I'm going to give up on such novels. Also, I like to think that if a book is capable of arousing emotions, whether negative or positive, it must have done something right!

Overall, I say this is well-written and has a good plot, although it won't change your life. If you read a lot of books, have fun with this one.  If you will only read 2 this year (ahem, you know who you are), I wouldn't make a better pick. 

2 comments:

  1. i read more than 2 per year. excuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not necessarily talking to you, thank you very much. And in this case, the difference between 2 and 4 is not significant!

    ReplyDelete