Wednesday, August 5, 2009

To Write a Poem

Write some poetry, you say.
I really wish it worked that way. 

If there was only one heartbeat there
Between my desires and the reality lair,
I would be a millionaire. 

I would have closets of clothes, and a house on the moon,
Eat chocolate in bed with a big golden spoon,

Walk around with a stick up my ass, and a feathered hat, 
Make sure my servants wiped their feet on the mat.

I would cover the walls in thick purple ink,
And simply replace, rather than wash, that dirty sink.

I would ride in my luxury car around town. 
And from up high, look at all the people down.

I would be branded as the very best
When being compared to all the rest.

All would look upon me with awe and respect. 
It would become simply a matter of fact. 

I would be a well-renowned writer,
Rather than some kind of a losing fighter. 

The word "publishing" will no longer have power,
And life will be nothing more than a sweet-scented flower.

But this is far from reality, dear.
And I am not a writer, I fear. 

To write a poem is not simple, not simple at all,
And I don't think I'm up to the challenge this Fall. 

Look for another, perhaps a stronger nut, 
Who will not allow himself to be cut. 

I will go on then, I guess, if I must;
I'll admit, it is there, this lust. 
Nevermind the cost. 

Call me an impostor; I suppose you will.
I will continue, though, to get my thrill. 

And die a painful death by the light of the moon.
It comes slow; I know not how soon. 

2 comments:

  1. awesome! deep and sarcastic all at the same time! will be fun looking back at it some day, when you in fact are driving around in a luxury car and replacing dirty sinks instead of washing them... when publishing is not an issue etc etc...

    by the way, i want to use this opportunity to congratulate you with your first published work! great job Inna! i am really proud and happy for you! you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, the future alone will tell what we're going to laugh (and cry) about in the future!

    ReplyDelete