Friday, March 12, 2010

Book Review

"American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis
My grade: F

First off, let me say that I did not, and could not, finish this book. I struggled through the first 200 pages, wanting to give up on it almost everyday. This book is ridiculously vulgar, disgusting, violent, cruel and sadistic. I kept waiting for a reason for all of this to be revealed - and perhaps it is at some point - but not in the first 200 pages. I could not bring myself to read the remaining 200.

In general, I found no trace of this being 'an excellent novel' or addressing 'Dostoevskian themes'. In fact, I resent the fact that Dostoevsky's name is mentioned on the back cover of this book. Ellis describes a world I have never seen a trace of, and am not sure I can believe in. His characters are pointless, and if the message was that people are superficial and crazy, I would have preferred both better writing and a better plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment