Monday, March 1, 2010

Book Review

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold
My grade: A-

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, due to the hype of this book and it being made into a movie currently out in theaters, this is a novel narrated by a dead 14-year-old girl. For those who know me well, this type of creativity alone ranks high in my book. Putting that aside, though, this is a well-written, interesting and thoughtful novel, which slowly becomes less of a thriller and more about life.

I do have a couple of criticisms of this book, nonetheless. Firstly, it is a bit romantic for my taste, and I don't mean in the traditional sense, although there are a couple of love stories. But I am referring mostly to the all-too-philosophical wrap-up of the novel. I wish Sebold made an even greater statement with it; is it conviction that is missing?

Also, Sebold touches on a very sensitive subject, which has become quite popular in literature nowadays (joining Jodi Picoult and Jacquelyn Mitchard, to name a couple): women deserting their families in their struggle with traditional feminine roles. While this is potentially a subject of interest to me, and something that I, as a woman, think about all the time (role of women in society - not leaving my family), I have yet to find a compelling argument in fiction. Feel free to recommend a book in that department, if you know of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment