Monday, April 18, 2011

Book Review - "The Collected Stories"

"The Collected Stories" by Grace Paley
My grade: B

To begin with, I'd like to say that I didn't finish this collection; I simply couldn't! Not because the writing is bad, though. In fact, I found the stories to be written really well, and I do like Paley's style. But, mostly I found the stories to be completely outdated. I couldn't relate to them at all. As opposed to long-length novels, which can reinvent a world and give you their own confines of it, short stories either have to work with a world that people know or (very) briefly define the world. As Paley doesn't do much definition, my guess is that she wrote in a very different time and place. Her world and her struggles are, at least partially, lost on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment