Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Book Review - "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson
My grade: C+

Probably the majority of people have at least heard of this book. For those of you who haven't, this is the first book of a thriller trilogy. Honestly, the chances that I will read the second and third are slim.

The book is written well enough. Thrillers are generally not my genre of choice, although I occasionally read one or two. This one was not definitely not my style. Firstly, the style of the author allows for the reader to discover the resolutions to the several different parallel crimes at the same time as the investigators in this book. In other words, there is no shocking tada at the end, or anywhere in the middle either. I personally don't like that much.

Additionally, one of the main 'crimes' in this novel deals with financial fraud and the likes. Larsson goes into extensive detail (for my taste) on the subject. He largely lost my interest there. I prefer thrillers to be more of a murderous nature, although murder and rape are a great part of this novel as well.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about this book but haven't read it. It's great to have your feedback, Inna; based on your review, I think I'll put this book in my "Don't read yet" list.

    You said the writing was decent. Were the characters well-developed? Did the dialogue ring true? I'm curious because this type of book apparently "sells" so its construction and make-up are likely reflections of the literary appetite of mass readership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest with you, Mohamed, the characters were not very well-developed; the girl with the dragon tattoo herself had, in my opinion, the potential to be a strong character, but didn't carry out on the promise. Perhaps that is something that happens in the following two novels, if one spends the time reading them.

    I am actually a bit shocked that this novel became such a popular bestseller. I'm not sure what exactly appeals to the mass readership when it comes to this book. I recommend to you, though, that perhaps you read it nonetheless, if such questions are of interest to you. It is definitely a fast read, so wouldn't cost too much of your time. But... don't have very high expectations and don't buy the whole trilogy before reading the first novel!

    On a separate note, if you haven't read "The Stranger", I really recommend that to you. I will finish with it tomorrow and write a book review, so check back in for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Inna. I have read "The Stranger." I love it.

    ReplyDelete