Saturday, February 20, 2010

Book Review

"Child 44" by Tom Rob Smith
My grade: A

The saddest part of this book is that it depicts a reality that by and large was true, based on everything we now know, and what I know to be true from my parents, grandparents and their friends. This is a story of the life in Soviet Union, particularly during Stalin times. It is mostly a story of fear; but also of defeat, sadness, integrity and sadly, life. Since I have begun reading this book, I have not been able to stop thinking about it. What a terrible fate for millions and millions of people.

I wonder what sense this book makes for people who have no connection whatsoever to the USSR. Your opinions, and anyone's for that matter, are most welcome here. Perhaps it will not make an impact on you as it has on me. I would liken the utter gruesomeness one confronts in this book to the one found in McCarthy's "The Road", although this novel is completely different.

If I were capable of looking at this book unbiasedly, I would comment on the successful, but apparent, attempt at a page-turner and the somewhat absurd plot development towards the end, but since I'm not, I'll just say it's worth your time. This is a book, and a feeling, that will stay with me for some time.

Big brother, this is one for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment