Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Review - "The Green Mile"

"The Green Mile" by Stephen King
My grade: A+

In one word, this novel is superb! Truly and honestly outstanding!! This may come as a surprise to some of you, but I have actually not seen the movie; at least, not in its entirety. I had only seen bits and pieces, remembering only Tom Hanks, a jail, and a big black man with kind eyes. Needless to say, the novel overshot all of my expectations and forthcomings.

From the technical perspective, I found not a single flaw in the writing. Definitely a new-found respect for King! Not only does he have an excellent command of the language in written form (which is the only form I can judge), but his application of it is simply amazing and awe-inspiring.

As to the actual content, it is no less impressive than the writing style! He tells a horrible story, but one that is very believable. The narrator is a man in his 100's, and it really is wonderful how King captured his voice so well (although King himself was only 49 at the time of publication): one of wisdom and old decrepit age. The story is likewise told in a very humanitarian way, with a lack of politics (from the narrator himself); I find this also to be very age-appropriate (coming from my 28 years).

I regret that I cannot compare the novel with the movie, but I cannot help but feel that no movie could every do this work justice! I don't think I have it in me to watch the film, knowing what happens in the end and throughout, but I recommend the book to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment