Thursday, May 27, 2010

Book Review

"In the Dojo: A Guide to the Rituals and Etiquette of the Japanese Martial Arts" by Dave Lowry
My grade: didn't finish

Hmmm... you're probably asking yourself the question, why did she want to read a book about that? After I started reading this book, I struggled to answer the same question myself. But then I remembered. A while back, I watched a program on National Geographic about martial arts. Its focus was on which form of martial art has the most harmful bodily effect. As I watched the program, my curiosity grew as to how these martial arts, as well as their deeply-rooted etiquette and culture, originated.

In (partially) reading this book, I realized that its focus was likewise not exactly what I'm looking for. Or perhaps, my interest in the subject is not great enough to study it so extensively? I think this is a good book for people interested in getting involved in the Japanese martial arts themselves, or those already involved. If anyone knows of a good book that addresses this subject from a sociological perspective, I'd be happy to take on recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment