Saturday, October 31, 2009

Book Review

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
My grade: C

Yes, it has been brought to my attention that this book has won a number of awards - that doesn't necessarily mean anything to me. I didn't like it at all.

Firstly, I have no idea what this book is about. I guess something to do with philosophy, but I'm not really sure what the message was. I suppose the biggest story within the story was the sinking of the ship, consequently placing Pi in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for some 7 odd months. However, it took a long time to get to this part within the greater story, largely not to my understanding. Virtually all of the previous information is useless.

Secondly, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is specifically, but this was an incredibly boring read. I can't really say that it is poorly written; the writing itself, especially in certain parts, is excellent. Perhaps it is the total lack of tension. Even in moments where there should, and normally would be lots of tension, the reader is not at all moved to feel much of anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment